Saturday, June 15, 2013
"hudson river damn" process
Here are some progress shots I saved of my latest print, "hudson river damn" while I worked on it:
I laid in the color of the blue paper first, then drew the turtle in... Once I worked up a strong enough silhouette, I blocked out the basic shapes of the turtle so that I could quickly select and shade in the finer details:
Satisfied with how the Turtle was looking, I moved on the the foreground. I wanted to subtly convey the danger of the environment, putting the Turtle into the jaws of death.
I moved on to the background rocks, and then a layer of rocks even further back. Underwater scenes can be tricky and I spent a lot of time on details that I knew would wind up mostly obscured, but needed to be there in order to sell the illusion of depth and hazy, deep water. Around this time I also decided to shorten the Turtles leg a bit and remove the reflected light on his underside to pop him forward more... after toiling away on lots of pinks plants and atmospheric lighting, I arrived at the final.
I originally had some bubbles and water disturbance around the turtle... but, I thought it made it read too much like a scuba diver and not a creature at home underwater. May as well have put bubbles coming from the mouths of the other turtles as well :P
Thanks for taking a closer look at my process with me! I'll have some pictures and details for the AP editions very soon.